Thursday, February 28, 2008

Comfort Food

Spaghetti Pie, this is comfort to my very soul. My mom made this for us when I was a child and now I make it for my family. Some people refer to it as Poor Man's Lasagna, but I don't think this is fair. It makes it sound cheap and not-as-good as the real thing. But to me, this is the real thing, true comfort food. After my first 2 babies were born my mom came to Tennessee to help us out and she would make this for dinner and then leave a couple in my freezer for a "I'm pulling my hair out" kind of day. My kids also love it, it's the one meal I'm assured they will eat every time. I also love it because it makes great baby food. Put some in my Cuisinart and voila, baby food for a week.
I just finished making dinner and guess what we'll be having?.....Spaghetti Pie (I really had you stumped didn't I?) Here's the recipe my mom used and now I claim. It's the only thing I make that I don't have to look at the recipe for anymore (I'm not a very experienced cook, but that's a story for another day).

1 lb spaghetti noodles
1 lb ground beef
onion, chopped
jar spaghetti sauce
egg
1 c parmesan cheese
24 oz (large tub) cottage cheese
Motzerella cheese

Brown the ground beef with chopped onion. Add spaghetti sauce, let simmer. Boil noodles until tender. Drain noodles and let cool just a bit. Add egg and parmesan cheese to the noodles and mix well. In a 9x13 pan place noodles, spread cottage cheese on top, then sauce mixture. Sprinkle motz cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly around edges.

Add a salad (or not) and bread and you've got dinner. I'll be making these fabulous rolls tonight. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Ariel Allison Lawhon said...

We love spaghetti pie at our house. And this may sound odd, but I throw some pepperoni on the top before I bake it. Doesn't everything taste better with pepperoni? Ok, so basically, I'm bribing my kids.