Sunday, September 12, 2010

Margo's Birth Story (finally!)

For 6 months now I've been trying to write Margo's birth story. I sit down, stare at the computer screen, write a few sentences, get frustrated, and walk away. I think the problem is that I can't write words that do the experience justice. I'm not near a good enough writer. So, because she is now 6 months old, and if I wait any longer I'm afraid I'll forget, here it is in bullet point form.

~ Because of a problem with low blood platelets (me, not baby) I was scheduled for an induction. I was really hoping for a natural delivery, so I was nervous about being induced, but I also didn't want to take any chances. I was told to arrive at the hospital on Tuesday morning.

~ On Monday afternoon at 5pm I got a call from the hospital saying that they were FULL and needed to bump my induction to Thursday. I was so upset. Not only because I was so ready to meet my babe, but also because it is a serious production to line up care for 3 other children. Grandma was set to arrive in minutes, all help had been arranged, we had prepped the kiddos, we were ready! After some tears, some serious prayer and soothing words from Tyler, we waited another 2 days.

~So Thursday morning would be the day! I set my alarm for 6am, but it was beat by the ringing of the phone. My mother-in-law (she had come the night before to watch the kids) answered. It was the hospital. There were STILL FULL and needed to bump me back a few more hours. My sweet mother-in-law told them in no uncertain terms that they could not do this to me again. She made the nurse promise they would call me to come in that afternoon. Seriously?!?! Torture.

~ Needless to say it was a really long morning. Thank goodness the Jayhawks played (basketball, remember this was way back in March) that day at noon. We watched the first half at home, and the hospital called back and told me to come on it. THANK YOU JESUS!! The Jayhawks went on to win their 2,000th game that day.

~ We arrived at the hospital at 1:30pm. Because I wanted a natural birth I asked to not be put on Pitocin (the induction drug). Since I was 3cm's, my Dr. said she would break my water and we could see how things progressed on their own.

~ We had quite the crowd at the hospital (I'm not a very modest person :)). My mother, 2 sisters, sister-in-law, and a friend who's a nursing student. But, as with all my births, Tyler is the one who I look to for everything. He was just an arms length away at all times.

~ Once my water was broken (2:30pm) I submerged myself in the bathtub. As much as I didn't want to go on Pitocin, I was also feeling restless. I was so ready to meet this baby. The previous 3 days on the emotional roller coaster had taken its toll. We were praying that God would be gracious and move things along quickly.

~ When I got out of the tub I was hoping to be at least 5cm's. I thought, if I'm at 5 I can do this. If I'm less than 5 I'll go for the Pitocin. I asked my nurse to check me. She did, and I was "just shy of 5cm's". Hmmmm, I sat there weighing my options while searching Tyler's face for an answer. My sweet nurse spoke up quietly (thank you Jesus for that) and said "I think you can do this, your body is progressing." It was the affirmation I needed. So, no pitocin.

~ From about 4-5:00pm I hung out on the birthing ball. I was having contractions, but not too painful and very sporadic. They'd be 2 minutes apart and then 10 minutes apart. We talked and laughed and tried not to watch the clock.

~ At about 6pm all the sisters and my mom went to get dinner. Tyler and I walked the hallways for about 45 minutes. I was beginning to have stronger contractions but was still waiting for them to become more regular. A few times I had to stop and breathe through the contractions, leaning on Tyler for support. I still felt like we were a long way off. I remember seeing some friends in the hallway of the OB floor and standing to talk to them for a bit (we made small talk like, um yeah, I'm about to have a baby!!). Specifically, I remember thinking the contractions were getting harder. I was ready to lie down and focus.

~ I got back in the bed. With all my kids I've done my heavy laboring on my left side with my left arm stretched straight out, my eyes closed, and no talking. Seriously, with all my kids, I've done the exact same thing. Tyler is always right in front of my face. He says this is when I'm "in the zone".

To sum things up (for those who are still reading). From 1:30 to 7:30 things were going slow, minimal pain, lots of chatting and laughing.
(this is when things get a little hazy for me...FYI)

~ It was about 7:45 when I got back into the bed. Contractions were coming closer together and I was having to breathe though them. I asked to be checked. I was at 7cm's. In my head I was thinking I probably had at least 2-3 more hours. As my doctor was walking away I had a REALLY strong contraction. She later told me that she went out to the nurses station and told them that she thought I would go very quickly.

(around this point my mom and sisters were all back in the room)

~ Literally, 10 minutes after my doctor walked out it hit me hard. The contractions were so hard and the need to push was overwhelming. I said to Tyler "I either need to throw up or push!". Serious, strong, contractions...they came out of seemingly nowhere.

~ The room very quickly filled with people. They were all telling me not to push. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO PUSH. If I talked while in labor, that is what I would have said. But remember, I was still laying on my left side, eyes closed, not talking. In. The. Zone.

~ When my doctor came running in the room (telling me not to push!) she asked me to roll over to my back so they could drop the end of the bed and prop my legs. There was no way that was going to happen. I asked (politely?) if I could deliver on my side. Thank you Lord Jesus for an understanding doctor. She asked someone to hold my top leg as she was still getting her gown on. I pushed, one time, and out flew Miss Margo. She literally did a flip in the doctor's arms she came out so quickly. They laid her on my chest and I heard someone say "It's a girl!".

I remember saying "thank you Jesus, thank you Jesus" over and over again. I couldn't believe how perfectly everything had gone. She was so tiny and so perfect. The next few hours were priceless. They weighed and measured and checked and we stared and cuddled and cried. Over time it seems I forget the details of the birth, but I never forget the first few hours after birth. That sweet time when I breathe in their newness and can't believe how incredibly blessed we've been.


Ashley McWhorter said...

I was seriously holding my breath through this whole post! It brought back SO many memories of my birth with Cash. I don't know how you've done it naturally 4 times. I don't know if I could mentally gear myself up for it again. It was SO hard, but yet SO rewarding!! Oh, and I'm glad you are not modest during deliveries. Neither am I. We have a full blown paparazzi in there! :)

Leslee Dummermuth said...

The ending was so similar to my delivery of Elise. There is just no way to explain to someone that it hasn't happen to, how your body just takes over and you have no option but to push. The kids still love to hear the story about "when Elise fell out". = )

And Then There Were Five said...


I was just doing some blogging and came across your blog---we have children with similar ages and I found comfort that you have husband and I were thinking of adding one more---but we're unsure if we really want to add to the chaos.
Good to "know" you...keep up the good mama work!

Katie Brown said...

What an amazing day!!! Even though I knew the story reading it again made me cry! Love you!

Keeping up with the Pickles said...

oh yes.. my 4th is 10 months and i balled.. LOL lovely thanks for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

It has been such a joy to get to know Margo Mae this summer. She is so cute and has a great personality as well as being very entertaining! Nancy

Kathryn said...

oh my goodness even though I sort of knew most of this story too, reading this made my eyes all teary and such! birth is such a b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l thing! I am so glad you had Margo Mae = ) you are amazing!!!

Marie Sullivan said...

SO good to hear all the details - from what I heard, it was like you pushed and it was done - but that is clearly not the case, right!? ha :) And as for the modesty aspect, that comes with experience, right? Lastly, I didn't realize you gave birth on your side! I'm certainly praying for that natural birth, sans pit, in a couple months! How awesome it is to hear about little Charlotte....

Marie Sullivan said...

HAHA - I just realized I said Charlotte and meant Margo :D You do have 2 girls now....