Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Letter

I did not write this, but I share this woman's sentiments.

********************************************************

Dear President-Elect Obama,

Today I shed tears of joy, along with hundreds of thousands of Americans, for the great victory of your election. The significance of this moment cannot be overstated. Our African-American friends have been oppressed and cast aside for generations in this country of ours. Now, may the shame be completely wiped away and may the glory that this nation represents and strives for become a reality for more and more of our once silenced citizens.

I confess I did not cast my vote for you. Not because you failed to inspire me with your speeches, because you did. Not because you do not impress me with your leadership and vision, because you do. I cast my vote for another based upon my concern for another segment of our society which is downtrodden and cast aside, the weak, the innocent; the unborn.

Mr. President-Elect, I pray that your heart would be burdened as well to do all in your power to encourage the life that is even now forming in many to come to fruition, to share in this great moment in our nation’s history. We all know the times are difficult and no one will escape the trials at hand. Just as this is true, so is the gift and privilege we have to live it. May the millions of unborn get this chance as well. May the virtue of responsibility reign as mothers choose to carry the fruit of their wombs to term, to give the gift of life to another. I ask, President Obama, that you would prayerfully consider your pay grade since indeed it has now risen at this moment in our history. May you be the champion of all those who are weak yet share the same right to life.

May God bless you and your beautiful family.

*****************************************************

This was published on one of my favorite blogs, Girl Talk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes what apt words.

Let's all find the Planned Parenthood office in our community and make a point to drive past it regularly... and stop in the parking lot... and pray for those who are oppressed, not because of the color of their skin, but because of the size of their bodies.

Ann said...

That really expresses my thoughts too. In fact, after hearing his election victory speech, those were the thoughts in my head.