Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Chicken Chili

I've made this soup 2 times in 8 days...it's THAT good. My kids even like it!

2 T oil
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 onion chopped
1 lb chicken, shredded
2-4 cups chicken broth (depends on what consistency you like)
1 jar salsa verde about 15oz
2 cans white beans
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans corn, or frozen
1/2 t oregano
1/4 t cumin
salt and pepper
serve with any of these: shredded cheese, sour cream, avacado, lime, totillas, etc.

Start by sauteing the garlic and onion in the oil. Add broth, salsa verde, tomatoes, and seasoning and bring to a boil, simmer for 10 min. Then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer as long as you'd like. I usually make this during nap time and then simmer until dinner.

This week I made my own chicken broth and used the chicken and the broth for this soup (with lots of broth left over to freeze for later). Here's what I did...

Put all these into a BIG pot...
1 whole chicken (take out the "inards") and rinse
2 carrots, don't bother to peel
2-3 celery sticks with the leaves
1 onion chopped in half
rosemary
oregano
2 basil leaves
(or whatever herbs you like)
Cover it all with water, I fill the pot about 4 inches from the top.

Bring to a boil and simmer for 1.5-2 hours. Take the chicken out, pull the meat from the bones, put the chicken carcass back in the broth and continue to boil another couple hours. When it's been at least 4 hours, drain the broth from the pot using a large stainer over a large bowl. (Throw out the veges and chicken carcass, you've boiled anything good out of them.) This makes a ton of chicken broth and lots of great tasting chicken. What I don't use I divide into 2 cup servings in ziplock bags and freeze.

No comments: