Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What's For Dinner?

These breadsticks are so good I've built a meal around them. You need to go make them now.


dscf5829.jpg



Seriously, I make these almost once a week. They are that good. Here's the best part....fresh baked bread for dinner and they take only 20 minutes. No kidding! Here's the recipe...

This recipe is adapted from one on Tasty Kitchen.

  • 3-½ cups Flour , maybe a bit more if dough is too sticky ( I use 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 1/2 Cups white flour)
  • ½ teaspoons Salt
  • 2 Tablespoons Sugar
  • 1 envelope Quick-Rise Yeast
  • 1-½ cup Warm Water
  • 4 T butter
  • Garlic Salt, to taste
  • ⅛ cups Parmesan Cheese (approximately)

Note: The dough is fairly light and sticky, so I prefer to use the dough hook on the KitchenAid mixer instead of kneading by hand.

Start by combining yeast and warm water. Let it sit for a couple minutes.

Add flour, salt and sugar. Knead thoroughly, for about 10 minutes, until the dough is satiny in texture. If the dough is still too sticky, add 1/4 – 1/2 cup more flour during the kneading process. Let the dough rest for a few minutes before rolling.

-Melt all the butter; use half of it to evenly cover the bottom of a jelly roll pan.

-On a floured surface, roll out the dough to the approximate size of the pan. Transfer the dough to the pan by draping/rolling it onto the pin. Roll the dough to the edges of the pan (this can be a bit tricky).

-Cut the dough to your preferred bread stick size using a pizza cutter.

-Use the rest of the melted butter to top the dough. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and garlic salt to taste.

(Now here is the amazing part. No waiting for it to rise! )

Place the pan in an unheated oven and bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes. While the oven preheats, the dough will rise. Or, alternately, let the dough rise to the top of the pan while preparing the rest of the meal and bake the bread sticks in a preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes.

Yield: approximately 18

Easy peasy, huh? So I told you I've built a dinner around these. Well almost every week this summer we've had a salad and breadsticks dinner night. Soon I'll post about our favorite salad.

If you make these let me know what you think!

4 comments:

Katie said...

I love them too!! They make it on our menu about every other week! I use wheat flour.

Anonymous said...

Your easy peasy and my easy peasy are worlds apart. :)

aimee said...

so I'm wondering...is it 2 cups of whole wheat flour or 2 1/2 cups of all purpose...the ingreds seem to be off by one cup! :) these look so yummy!! :) Thanks for sharing! I'm anxious to try!

Lindsay said...

You're right aimee, my amounts were a little off. Basically you can use whatever amount you'd like of whole wheat flour or all purpose flour to get to the 3 1/2 cups. The recipe calls for all-purpose, but I usually use about half and half.